The Governorate of eastern Santa Cruz, the largest region bolivian and the worst hit by the pandemic, declared this Thursday a health red alert due to the increase in cases of the covid-19 in that department in the fourth wave of infections.
The Secretary of Health and Human Development of the Government of Santa Cruz, Fernando Pacheco, informed the media that it was decided to declare a health red alert in that department in order to “activate the administrative and logistical mechanisms” to face the fourth wave of the covid-19.
Pacheco argued that the intensive care units are filling up and that there was also an increase in daily infections, so it is analyzed that in the next few days that region will enter “health emergency”.
“It is opportune that we activate our health emergency mechanisms, that we activate our Departmental Emergency Operations Center (COED) to prevent this from reaching the elderly”, Pacheco told the media.
He also emphasized that the people who are entering intensive care, who need to be intubated or who are dying are those who are not vaccinated, for which he urged the population to go to the vaccination points.
“We ask the population to remain calm, to take care of ourselves, to maintain biosecurity measures and we as the Government will be there to protect their health”Pacheco said.
This week the main prisons in the country prohibited visits, including that of Palmasola in Santa Cruz, due to covid-19 infections, in addition 19 positive infections were also detected in the indigenous march that arrived months ago in that city.
Bolivia It entered the fourth wave of infections at the end of October with the recommendation of the Ministry of Health to go to be vaccinated since those most exposed to getting sick are those who are not immunized.
The country registers eight consecutive weeks of increase in cases of covid-19 that mark this fourth wave of infections, according to information from national authorities.
That is why the municipal authorities of Santa Cruz announced a series of measures and restrictions to counteract the increase in infections, such as the prohibition of events that bring together more than 50 people, in particular the high school graduation parties that are beginning to be done next month.
In the same way, it will be required to present the vaccination certificate to enter commercial establishments.
This week the Health Minister, Jeyson Auza, attributed the increase in cases in that department to the strike that took place in that region, rejecting a law.
This week there is a massive march of various social movements led by former President Evo Morales supporting the Government of Luis Arce that intends to arrive in La Paz on Monday.
Currently Bolivia accumulates 19,104 deaths and 532,631 infections, since the first cases were detected in March of last year.
Regarding immunizations, the ministry reported that so far 3,996,668 people have received the first dose of anticovid vaccines, another 3,107,998 the second and 980,198 were immunized with single-dose drugs.
The vaccines used are the Chinese Sinopharm and the Russian Sputnik V purchased by the national government, in addition to the AstraZeneca, Pfizer and Janssen donated through the United Nations Covax mechanism.
According to the criteria of